East Dunbartonshire

Your current home may be unsuitable for your needs for a variety of reasons. In certain circumstances, assistance may be available to address these issues, enabling you to remain in your home rather than having to move to alternative accommodation.

Details of such support and assistance are detailed in the links below.

Discretionary Housing Payment https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/residents/benefits/discretionary-housing-payment

Housing Support

Money Advice

Community Occupational Therapy Service
help in home\The Community Occupational Therapy Service.docx

Aids and Adaptations
help in home\Aids and Adaptations.docx

Care and Repair
help in home\Care and Repair in East Dunbartonshire.docx

Project 101
Properties that become vacant are allocated to people on our housing list, which we call the Common Housing Register (CHR). The housing list is based on a person's housing needs and is split into 3 categories – for waiting, transfers and homeless applicants. If you would like to apply for housing and get onto the housing list you will be required to complete the CHR application form.

You can get a form by:
  • Downloading the Application Form
  • Phoning your local Community HUB on 0300 1234510
  • Visiting one of our local Community HUBs

We will then acknowledgement receipt of your application form and will assess your application based on your housing needs in line with our allocations policy. You should note that the Council operates a needs based allocations policy which means you will only be awarded allocation points if you have a specific need for housing, for example you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, or are overcrowded, or if your current home is in a state of serious disrepair.

There is currently a lot of people looking for Council housing in East Dunbartonshire which means applicants on our housing list can wait a long time to receive a Council house, even if they are in need.

If you are allocated a Council house you will generally be awarded a Scottish secure tenancy. Scottish secure tenants have strong tenancy rights, as well as rights to repairs and to pass on their tenancy to other members of their family.

When you move in, you will be given a tenants' handbook outlining everything you need to know about renting from the Council, including how to pay your rent, what your responsibilities are and what to do if you need repairs done to your home. The Tenant Handbook is also available online.

Further information is detailed in the links below.

Tenant Handbook
Applying for a Council house\Tenants Handbook final.pdf

Allocations Policy
Applying for a Council house\Allocation policy.doc

Common Housing Register application
Applying for a Council house\CHR Application Form.pdf
Housing associations (also known as Registered Social Landlords) are similar to the Council in that they are social landlords who provide properties for rent. Some housing associations provide accommodation for general needs households. Other associations provide housing for people with particular needs such as sheltered housing for older people.

There are a number of housing associations in the area which East Dunbartonshire Council operates a formal nomination arrangement with. This means that some housing association lets are allocated to people nominated from the Council’s housing list. This is in addition to the association’s own housing list.

You can apply directly to any housing association for rehousing, although the Council operates a Common Housing Register with Antonine Housing Association. This means that if you wish to be housed by either the Council or Antonine Housing Association, you will only need to complete one application form as both landlords use the same allocations policy to prioritise the housing applications they receive.

Further information is detailed in the links below.

Housing Associations in East Dunbartonshire RSL\Housing Associations.docx
'Private rented housing' means housing that is owned by a private individual, company or organisation.  Private rented housing plays an important role in providing accommodation for a range of households.

Further information on accessing private rented sector accommodation is detailed in the link below.

Private rented Sector

Private Rented Sector\Accessing Housing in the Private Rented Sector.docx
If you want to be re-housed, you can apply to the Council for a transfer to another property. Your application for a transfer will be considered under the Council’s Allocations Policy.

Another possibility is to consider a “mutual exchange”, where you can exchange your house with another tenant.

You have the right to exchange your home with another East Dunbartonshire tenant, or with a tenant of another qualifying landlord (other Councils and Housing Associations). You can request a mutual exchange at any time during your tenancy.

You can apply for a mutual exchange online via the HomeSwapper service which is a direct home swap service for tenants who live in a Council house or Housing Association property and are interested in exchanging their home. HomeSwapper is a nationally operated home swap service, and provides automatic matches with potentially suitable tenants based on their preferences.

Further information is detailed in the links below.

Mutual Exchange Application Form
Mutual Exchange\Mutual Exchange Application Form.pdf

Mutual Exchange Guidance
Mutual Exchange\Mutual Exchange Guidance.pdf

There is a significant shortage of affordable housing in East Dunbartonshire to meet housing need and demand. The Council through its Local Housing Strategy and Strategic Housing Investment Plan strives to meet housing need wherever possible and has an extensive development programme over the next few years, with over 400 new affordable homes being built by 2020.

Further information on affordable housing options is detailed in the link below.

Affordable Housing
RSL\Affordable Housing Options\Affordable Housing Options.docx
Sheltered housing is purpose-built accommodation designed to make residents home and life easier to manage as they get older. All accommodation (which can range from bungalows, flats to bedsits) have their own front door and front door key.   All tenants have their own private facilities including living area, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen, and often have a communal social area.

The purpose of sheltered housing is to enable older people to continue living as independently as possible while providing residents with any support needed to make sure that happens. Generally applicants will not be offered a property until they are at least sixty years of age.

Very sheltered housing

Very sheltered housing has all the features of sheltered housing, but also includes at least one meal a day, additional warden cover and special bathroom facilities. Individuals have their own living space - bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen - but in addition there are communal facilities and accommodation for 24-hour care staff.

Further information in sheltered housing is detailed in the links below.

East Dunbartonshire sheltered
Sheltered housing\East Dubartonshire Council Sheltered housing.docx

Housing Association sheltered
Sheltered housing\Housing Association Sheltered Housing.docx

Housing Association Very sheltered
Sheltered housing\Housing Association Very Sheltered Housing.docx
The Council have certain legal obligations to help people who are Homeless. As a homeless applicant, the Council has a duty to provide you with permanent accommodation if you:
  • are homeless, or are threatened with homelessness within two months
  • did not become homeless intentionally , and
  • have a local connection with East Dunbartonshire

Even if we have no duty to provide you with permanent accommodation, we may have an obligation to provide you with temporary accommodation, and advice and assistance to help you access accommodation.

Further information on what you should do if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness is detailed in the link below.

Homelessness\The Homelessness Process.docx