East Renfrewshire

We have a range of information, advice and support to help you look at your housing options and choices.

If you contact us on 0141 577 3001, you can discuss your situation or arrange an appointment for a more in-depth discussion with one of our housing advisors. We will do all that we can to help you find the housing option that is right for you. You can also send an email to housingoptions@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

You can also talk to us about personal circumstances that may not necessarily be housing related, e.g. financial difficulties. We work with other services such as money advice, health and social care and employability to assist you with issues that may help to prevent a housing crisis. We also work closely with independent providers of advice, information and assistance, e.g. the East Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau.

You can also read a copy of our Housing Options Guide below. It provides an overview of the options available with contacts for people or agencies that may be able to help you.

Please note that the East Renfrewshire Housing Register (ERHR) referred to in the Guide came to an end on 27th April 2018. Updated information about applying for council and housing association homes is outlined in the section below.

If you need urgent help because you are homeless or think that you may become homeless within the next 56 days, call 0141 577 3001 (8:45am to 4:45pm Monday to Friday) or 0800 052 0180 (out of office hours)

To apply for council housing, please download and print our application form and read the guidance notes or call 0141 577 3001 to be sent printed copies to return. We are continuing to use the old East Renfrewshire Housing Register form for our council housing whilst we prepare a new online housing registration form.


We will be changing how we let our council homes early in 2019. We will be offering more choice to those who are on our housing list by introducing “choice based letting”. Each week, we will advertise available homes and people on our housing register will be able to “bid” (register an interest” in one or more of them. We will provide more information about this in early 2019.

The following housing associations have social rented homes in East Renfrewshire:

Barrhead Housing Association
60-70 Main Street, Barrhead G78 1SB.
Tel: 0141 881 0638
Email: enquiries@barrheadha.org

Arklet Housing Association Ltd
Barrland Court, Barrland Drive, Giffnock, G46 7QD.
Tel: 0141 620 1890
Email: arklet@arklet.org.uk

Hanover (Scotland) Housing Association
Tel: 0141 553 6300

Link Housing Association Ltd
Tel: 03451 400 100)

Horizon Housing Association
Tel: 0330 303 0089

Trust Housing Association
Tel: 0131 444 1200

Cube Housing Association (part of the Wheatley Group)
Tel: 0800 479 7979

Abbeyfield Scotland Ltd
(Tel: 01727 857536)

If you are already a council or a housing association tenant in East Renfrewshire you may apply for a transfer to another home in the area with the same or a different landlord.

You will need to complete and submit a housing application form. Further details can be obtained from your landlord.
Private renting has changed in Scotland:

From 1 December 2017, landlords must use a Private Residential Tenancy to create a new tenancy
Letting agents must comply with a Code of Practice from 31 January 2018

There are many ways to find a private rented home:

In local newspapers
Cards in local corner shops and newsagents
On various websites, including, for example:

You can also us a search engine such as Yell to find up to date details of local letting agents. We don’t recommend any particular website, landlord or estate agent. This is for information only.

Tips for private renting
Before you commit to a private rental, make sure you can afford it. Even if you change your mind, you’re still liable for the rent for the length of the contract.

You should always check the landlord has a registration number and Energy Performance Certificate. This is a landlord’s legal requirement.

Usually a deposit is one month’s rent. However, some landlords/agents ask for 2 month’s rent in advance.

Your deposit will be placed with one of the three independent tenancy deposit schemes which are approved by the Scottish Government – your landlord must confirm to you which one, along with other details, e.g. the conditions in which all or some of your deposit can be kept by your landlord at the end of the tenancy.

Help with deposit
If you are in housing need, are on our waiting, transfer or homeless lists and you’re having trouble raising a deposit, we can refer you to East Renfrewshire Citizen Advice Bureau. CAB runs the East Renfrewshire Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme. Contact one of our housing advisors on 0141 577 3001 or housingadvice@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk to be referred to the Scheme.

Help with rent
You might qualify for Housing Benefit to help you with your rent, even if you’re working.

Housing Benefit for tenants of private landlords is capped. The Local Housing Allowance rate for your size of property is the maximum amount of Housing Benefit that you can receive. The actual amount of Housing Benefit you receive will depend on your income and savings.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) Rates
Since April 2016, LHA rates have been frozen. The rates shown in the tables below will remain at this level until 2020.

Single people aged under 35 years will have Housing Benefit capped at the shared accommodation rate. By single people we mean someone who is not living:

as a couple
with dependant children.

Barrhead, Neilston & Uplawmoor (G78 area)

Greater Glasgow
Thornliebank, Giffnock, Newton Mearns, Clarkston, Muirend, Busby & Eaglesham (G44, G46, G76, G77)

Our private sector housing team offers advice and assistance on a wide range of private rented tenancy issues.
Contact Private Sector Housing Team on 0141 577 3573 or privatesectorhousing@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk
Scottish Government information on the Repairing Standard for Private Landlords
Information from Shelter Scotland on the Housing and Property Chamber

If you need urgent help because you are homeless or think that you may become homeless within the next 56 days, call 0141 577 3001 (8:45am to 4:45pm Monday to Thursday; 8:45am to 3:55pm Friday, excluding public holidays) or 0800 052 0180 (out of office hours)

It is very important that you contact us straight away as we may be able to:

prevent you from losing your home
help you find other accommodation
contact other services whom may be able to help you
offer you somewhere to stay

We have provided more information about making a homeless application in this helpful guide:

  • Sheltered housing

  • The Retail Trust has a number of retirement properties for rent in the Crookfur Estate in Newton Mearns. You can apply if you have worked in retail or in an associated industry, e.g. manufacturing, supplying to retail, shop fitting etc. Please read the leaflet below for more information. Call the Retail Trust on 0141 639 4343 for further information on who can apply and how to apply.

    Guide to housing options for older and/or disabled people
East Renfrewshire Council has a designated young persons’ housing support service that offers help and support to all young people aged 16-25 within East Renfrewshire. There are two types of service:

Outreach service
Connor Road Supported Accommodation

If you are hoping to apply to be a resident you need to be referred by another agency, e.g. Social Work. If you are aged 16-25 and want advice and/or support on your housing needs or how to be referred, please call 0141 577 4069.

Guide to Young Persons Housing Support Service
There are different Scottish Government schemes available to help you to buy your own home:
Low Cost Home Ownership

The Council has nothing in the pipeline currently for low cost home ownership opportunities. However, we keep a register of those who would be interested in receiving information about any future plans. Please contact us at strategy.housing@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk
or call 0141 577 4687.

Support for homeowners
We can offer advice and assistance to homeowners who need to carry out repairs and improvements to their homes (including adaptations).

Our Scheme of Assistance offers a wide range of services and aims to help homeowners in taking responsibility for the condition of their homes.

Mortgage Difficulties?

Lenders are required to inform the council of the possibility of a homeowner being evicted due to mortgage arrears. They do this by sending a Section 11 notice to the council to make us aware that an individual or household are at risk of becoming homeless. This gives us an opportunity to contact you to discuss the potential to prevent eviction and/or to discuss alternative housing options. However, the earlier you contact us, the more time it gives us to try to help you to stay in your current home. If you are currently having mortgage difficulties, or think that you may have soon, please call us on 0141 577 3001 to arrange a time to talk to one of our housing advisors.
If you want to swap homes with another council or housing association tenant in East Renfrewshire, or anywhere in the country, you should first contact your landlord to discuss this. Both tenants must have permission from their landlord before actually swapping homes.

East Renfrewshire Council Mutual Exchange Register
If you are a Council or housing association tenant in East Renfrewshire and are interested in a mutual exchange, please contact us on 0141 577 3001 and request a mutual exchange report. The report will identify any other housing applicants who have requested a mutual exchange and who are a potential match for you in terms of house size, property type and area. You may then contact the applicant(s) to discuss a potential mutual exchange.

Want to move to a different part of the country?
The HomeSwapper scheme is for tenants of socially rented accommodation who want a house swap, flat swap or to exchange their council house. This is also called mutual exchange. In order to be considered for a swap, you must live in a council house or housing association property. Homeswapper is a privately owned company which works with many local authorities and housing associations.
East Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureau
216 Main Street, Glasgow G78 1SN
0141 881 2032
Opening Times
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9.30 - 15.30
Wed: 9.30 - 15.30 and 15.30 - 18.00 (by appointment)

Shelter Scotland Helpline
0808 800 4444
(9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
The Shelter advice line is free to call from landlines and all six of the main UK mobile networks: Virgin, Orange, 3, T-Mobile, Vodafone and O2, but charges may apply from any other network.
Work EastRen is East Renfrewshire Council’s Employability Service. We provide free advice and support to East Renfrewshire residents who are searching for a job or work placement, looking to further their career or are needing training support. We also offer a wide range of Modern Apprenticeships for young people.

The team also provides a wide range support and services to local businesses. We have dedicated staff whose aim is to help new and existing businesses grow through a coordinated package of support and advice.

We have helped over 1,845 people into work or training since 2013. We work with a range of partners to ensure that you get the right support and advice to suit your individual needs.

The Work EastRen jobs portal advertises a wide range of vacancies in different sectors and across numerous job roles.

Further Information can be found at https://www.workeastren.co.uk/ or contact the team on 0141 577 8438 or at worker@eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk

Advice on Self-Employment in East Renfrewshire
Business Gateway East Renfrewshire provides quality, practical advice and guidance to new and existing businesses in East Renfrewshire.

Whether you are an established, trading business, looking to consolidate or grow, or an individual thinking about starting a business or becoming self-employed, then Business Gateway East Renfrewshire has something to offer that can help make the difference to your business.

Please visit: https://www.bgateway.com/local-offices/east-renfrewshire or phone 0141 530 4414

Employability Services in East Renfrewshire
East Renfrewshire has a wide network of organisations that can support residents on their journey to work. This guide will give you information on the services available to our residents and will help you to decide what is the most appropriate for you.

Whether you are looking for opportunities to gain new skills, help to overcome barriers, support to create a CV and access to local vacancies, or in-work support there is something in this guide for you.

All organisations offer a free, friendly and confidential service designed to identify the support you need to gain employment and as a network we will work in partnership to help you achieve your goals.

Please visit: https://www.workeastren.co.uk/employability-services-in-east-renfrewshire/

Other Support Services in East Renfrewshire
There are a wide range of agencies and initiatives which support people in East Renfrewshire to respond to changes in their financial and employment circumstances, in particular those who are being adversely affected by changes to welfare and employment policy.

Please visit: https://www.workeastren.co.uk/support/support-services/

Children and Families
We play an active role in promoting the welfare of children and families across East Renfrewshire. Further information about the advice and assistance that we can provide and how to contact us is available below:
Children in need
Apply for a disability allowance for child related services
Young people with additional support needs

For information about adult and older people's health and social care services in East Renfrewshire, use the links below:

Health and wellbeing for adults and older people

Disabled persons National Entitlement Card

Integrated Learning Disability Team
Provides services to people who have a learning disability and are over 16 years old, living within the East Renfrewshire area

Mental health services

Adult support and protection

Violence against women

Alcohol and Drug Services

Information and support for carers

Armed Forces Community Support
East Renfrewshire Council has signed a Community Covenant with the armed forces and Voluntary Action East Renfrewshire to build on the good relations between the Armed Forces Community, the Council and its partner organisations in this area.
The Covenant is a voluntary statement of mutual support which recognises and remembers the sacrifices made by members of the community and this includes currently serving men and women, veterans, their families, carers and widow/er/s.
More information is available here:
Armed Forces