North Lanarkshire

A range of information, advice and support is on hand to help you look at your housing options so that you can make the right choice about your housing situation.

Our housing options information includes options about home ownership, renting in the private sector, council or housing association or seeking accommodation if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Information about other services such as health, money advice or employment can also contribute to holding onto or finding a sustainable home.

Further information can be found by clicking here.
If you are experiencing difficulties with your current home, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible. Our team of highly trained staff will provide you with advice that suits your needs and situation so that a positive outcome is achieved. We will offer advice on a range of services available from the council and also other agencies. This can include advice and support on
  • Health Services
  • Mediation
  • Adaptions
  • Antisocial Behaviour
  • Addiction Services
  • Financial Advice
North Lanarkshire Council’s ‘Your Money’ service can help with information about

  • welfare reform
  • money advice
  • benefits
  • spending less
  • looking after your physical and mental health when times are tough
  • leisure on a shoe string and
  • getting back to work.

For more information about this service please visit, telephone our Customer Contact Centre on 01698 403170 or ask a member of staff in your local First Stop Shop or Housing Office who will be happy to help.
North Lanarkshire's Working offers a range of support to help you back into work, regardless of your circumstances

If you're looking for work or want to train for work, North Lanarkshire's Working is a great service which gives you access to all types of support.

Whatever you need:
  • skills;
  • childcare;
  • help with health issues;
  • or even access to local vacancies, we can help.

We have helped over 5,000 people into work in the last three years alone. We work with a range of partners to ensure that you get the right support and advice to suit your individual needs.

The North Lanarkshire's Working recruitment portal advertises vacancies that won't be found elsewhere. The vacancies are in a range of different sectors and across numerous job roles.

Further Information can be found at
The private rented sector has increased in the North Lanarkshire area in more recent years. Living in private rented accommodation means that you are a tenant of a private landlord and not a Housing Association or the Local Authority.

You should always make sure that you have a written tenancy agreement, which sets out your rights and obligations.

The tenant information pack is now available to view on the Scottish Government website. The pack, and background information on what its introduction means for landlords, agents and tenants, can be viewed at:

The regulations can be viewed at:

The Competition and Markets Authority has published guidance which is aimed at lettings professionals to help them comply with consumer protection laws. This document is a useful guide to ensuring your landlord is complying with these laws. The document can be found at:

Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme

North Lanarkshire Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme (or RDG scheme) provides a ‘guarantee’ to a private landlord instead of a tenant providing a cash deposit at the beginning of the lease.
The guarantee is to assist people who want to live in the private rented sector but who are unable to raise the cash deposit themselves. The RDG scheme is managed by North Lanarkshire Council.

The RDG scheme is open to:
  • Applicants seeking accommodation in North Lanarkshire
  • aged 16 years and over
  • have a level of housing need
  • Are on a low income and therefore unable to raise the deposit on their own;

Please contact your local First Stop Shop for information. A local Housing Advisor will ask you a number of questions to establish if there is a need for you to access the RDG scheme or if there are more suitable housing options available to you.

The deposit is equal in value to one month’s rent. If you claim housing benefit, then the deposit will be set at the Local Housing Allowance Rate per bedroom you need up to a four bedroom property. Local Housing Allowance rates can be viewed at our website at
The rent deposit guarantee will last for 6 months. This can be renewed for a further 6 months depending on the circumstances and with agreement from both you as the tenant and the landlord.

The rent deposit will only be paid out if you leave without giving four weeks notice or property damage has occurred and is not covered by insurance. Any claim is limited to the value of the deposit guarantee.

To find out more, please visit our website at
Properties that become vacant are allocated to people on our housing list, which we call the Common Housing Register (CHR). We operate 5 housing lists as follows:
  • Homeless
  • General
  • Transfer
  • Aspirational Shared Access
  • Aspirational Transfer

Further information on these groups and our full allocation policy can be found at

If you would like to apply for housing and access our housing list you will need to complete a CHR application form which is available from your local First Stop Shop (details of which can be found on the link above)

The completed form must be handed back to your local First Stop Shop or posted back to the address listed. Please note that all the pages must be returned and you must sign the form. You will receive an acknowledgement letter when we have processed your application.
North Lanarkshire uses a Common Housing Register to maintain the waiting lists for social rented housing in the area. This was developed in partnership with the registered social landlords [housing associations and co-operatives] who have houses to let in North Lanarkshire.

In addition to the fact that applicants now only need to fill in one form to apply to numerous landlords, the partners participating in the common housing register can provide advice and information on all housing options available. By completing this CHR application form you can be listed for public housing in the North Lanarkshire Area.
We recognise that to be threatened with homelessness is a difficult and stressful time.

  • You don't have to be living on the street to be homeless.
  • You may be living care of family or friends.
  • You could be living with an abusive partner or parents.
  • You may be leaving care.
  • Your house may be in danger of being repossessed due to non payment of rent or mortgage.
  • You may be leaving the armed forces or coming out of prison.

Whatever your situation is our Housing Service is set up to ensure that you and your family receive the advice and support that you need to prevent you from being homeless or where this is unavoidable to minimise the effects.

We hope that the information contained here will assist you should you ever be homeless or threatened with homelessness.

How to get help
If you are worried about your housing situation or wish further information, please contact your local housing office. Their number can be found at

The offices are open:
Monday to Thursday 8.45 am to 4.45 pm and
Fridays 8.45 a.m. to 4.15 p.m.

If your enquiry is outwith these hours please contact the Emergency Out of Hours Service Freephone 0800 953 2424.
Further information can be found at
Relationship Breakdown

If your relationship with your partner or joint tenant breaks down, you may need to decide who is going to live in and take over the tenancy of your home.
When tenants are married to each other, they both have a right to stay in the home, even if it is not a joint tenancy. If it is not a joint tenancy, the husband or wife of the tenant has what is called 'occupancy rights'.

These rights include the following:
  • You have the right to live in and return to the home
  • You can only be made to leave the home by an order from the court
  • The tenant needs your permission (consent) if they want to give up the tenancy or apply for a transfer or mutual exchange
  • You can apply to the court to have the tenancy put in your name. Also, both partners can apply to the courts to evict the other if they are abusive (an exclusion order)

If you are living with your partner and are not married, you will have the same rights as your partner if you are joint tenants. If you are not a joint tenant, to have some of the same rights as your partner you will need to apply to the courts and you should get advice on this.

If your relationship is going through a difficult time and you are leaving the home temporarily, you should let your local First Stop Shop know.

Domestic Abuse
Domestic abuse is defined as a persistent and controlling behaviour by a partner or ex-partner which hurts you physically, sexually and/ or emotionally. It often gets worse over time and is very common. Both women and men may experience domestic abuse.

There may be no bruises. Your partner may put you down, keep you away from your family and friends and gradually, over time, destroy your hopes.

Many people try to hide or play down the abuse because they are frightened or ashamed or think they have no options. But there are options and there are people who can help you.
You have the right to live in safety and to feel secure in your own home. You also have a right to information and advice from North Lanarkshire Council to find out about your housing options and to stop you from becoming homeless. There are various options open to you whether you want to stay in your home or need to leave so you are safe.

You may have rights to stay in your own home and have an abusive partner removed. You may have to go to court to have them removed and to make them stay away. Your right to stay in your home and what you can do to have an abusive partner removed depends on whether you and/ or your partner have occupancy rights.

If you are married or in a civil partnership, you have an automatic right to stay in your home (occupancy rights) whether the house is in your name, your partner’s name or joint names. This means that you have a right to be in the house. Your partner does not have the right to put you out of it. They do not have the right to refuse you entry if you’ve been away for less than two years (for example on holiday). It also means that they can’t sell it or give up or transfer the tenancy (unless you agree in writing – warning: don’t do this without speaking to a solicitor). If the house is owned or rented in your partner/ ex-partner’s sole name and you leave the house, your occupancy rights will end after two years.

If you are not married or in a civil partnership, you only have automatic occupancy rights if you are the sole or joint owner or tenant of your home.

If you are not the sole or joint owner or tenant, then you do not have automatic occupancy rights. But you do have the right to go to court to get occupancy rights granted to you for six months at a time. Once you have occupancy rights, you can stay in the house and apply for a court order (exclusion order – to remove their occupancy rights).

If you are the sole owner or tenant of your home, your partner has no legal right to stay there. You do not need a court order to make them leave. You can change the locks when your partner is out and refuse to let them in. Note that if your partner has items in the house which belong to them, you may have to think about how to get these back to them safely. Speak to the police about this. If your partner is in the house and refuses to leave, you may be able to ask the police to remove them or you can apply to the court for an ejection order.

You can use the law to have an abusive partner removed from the house and stay away from you.

If you have occupancy rights, you can apply to the court for an exclusion order and interdict to remove their right to stay in the house and to make them stay away.

An exclusion order suspends (stops) your partner/ ex-partner’s right to live in the house. You will need to approach a solicitor as a solicitor applies to the court for an exclusion order for you. The solicitor will gather information (evidence) about your partner/ ex-partner’s behaviour from you and anyone else, such as family or friends who are willing to say what has happened. The solicitor will use this to back up the application.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and want to leave your home we can offer you alternative accommodation. We can provide you with housing on a temporary basis until we can give you permanent accommodation.

You can stay in temporary accommodation until we offer you permanent accommodation or you feel it is safe for you to return home. The Housing Advisor dealing with your application will advise you about your housing options during your interview.

You don’t have to stay in council temporary accommodation if you don’t want to. You can make your own arrangements or you can contact Women’s Aid for refuge accommodation.

Local agencies in North Lanarkshire who can help to support you if you are suffering from domestic abuse:
Emergency Social Work standby – 0800 811505
Woman’s Aid (Motherwell) – 01698 321000
Woman’s Aid (Monklands) – 01236 432061
Woman’s Aid (Cumbernauld) – 01236 730992
National Domestic Abuse Helpline (24 hours) – 0800 027 1234
EVA Services – 01236 707767
Lanarkshire Rape Crisis Centre – 01698 527003
Rape Crisis Scotland Helpline (6pm to Midnight) – 08088 010302
For further information online
We can provide help to private homeowners carrying out repairs and maintenance to their properties.

The range of assistance available is set out in our Scheme of Assistance which is a public document detailing the type of assistance available and the criteria to be met to receive assistance.

The type of assistance available to owners includes the provision of information, advice, practical and technical assistance. Financial assistance is very limited and only available in specific circumstances. All assistance is subject to council priorities, available resources and tailored to individual needs and circumstances. Two adjoining owners experiencing the same problems of disrepair contacting the council might therefore not receive the same assistance package. Providing a range of assistance empowers owners to carry out works themselves and will help the council to assist more people in honouring their maintenance and repair obligations.

Where a disabled person's home no longer meets their needs, mandatory grant provision may be available. This will depend on the type of work required to make the persons home suitable for their needs and on whether their needs are deemed eligible for support under the Councils' Priorities Framework.  This is determined following an assessment of the person's needs which is carried out by an assessing officer from social work services.

The types of assistance that will be provided to disabled persons are described in the 'Scheme of Assistance'.

The Scheme of Assistance details:
  • The mandatory assistance to be provided to disabled people.
  • Non mandatory/discretionary assistance that the council may offer to other owners and private landlords.
  • Details of the enforcement powers available to the council and what help the council will provide where these powers are used.

Mortgage Arrears

There is a requirement for lenders to inform the council of the possibility of eviction due to arrears. This is called Section 11.

What is Section 11?

Section 11 of the Homelessness etc (Scotland) Act 2003 was implemented with effect from 1 April 2009. This part of the act requires all landlords, including private landlords, and creditors (mortgage and secured loan lenders) to notify North Lanarkshire Council when they raise possession proceedings or serve other eviction type action notices.

Why is this important?

The main function of a section 11 notice is to give the council ample knowledge that an individual, or household, are at risk of becoming homeless. Once aware North Lanarkshire Council may intervene to see if the eviction can be halted through mediation or other means, also, the notice will give the North Lanarkshire Council time to discuss alternative housing options with you.

Further Information can be found at