A range of information, advice and support is on hand to help you look at your housing options so that you can make the right choice about your housing situation.

Our housing options information includes options about home ownership, renting in the private sector, council or housing association or seeking accommodation if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Information about other services such as health, money advice or employment can also contribute to holding onto or finding a sustainable home.

Further information can be found clicking here

Help to stay in your home

If you are experiencing difficulties with your current home, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible. Our team of highly trained staff will provide you with advice that suits your needs and situation so that a positive outcome is achieved. We will offer advice on a range of services available from the council and also other agencies. This can include advice and support on
  • Health Services
  • Mediation
  • Adaptions
  • Antisocial Behaviour
  • Addiction Services
  • Financial Advice

Caring for Adults
Local Social Work Offices
Adapting your home
Financial Advice
Mental Health Support
The Energy Saving Scotland Advice Centre (part of the Energy Saving Trust) provide general advice and information on all energy matters, including heating systems, bill payments and ways to save energy. Contact them on:
  • phone: 0808 808 2282 (freefone from BT lines, however other phone providers may charge for this call).

The Council cannot provide grant assistance for the installation of central heating or insulation in privately owned homes. However, you can get help through the Scottish Government's 'Energy Assistance Package'. This package offers four types of help for householders:
  • free energy advice for all householders
  • benefits and tax credit checks and advice on low cost energy tariffs to all householders
  • a package of insulation measures (cavity wall and loft insulation) to older households and those who receive a qualifying benefit for private rented tenants or owner occupiers.
  • a package of central heating and enhanced energy efficiency measures to those most vulnerable to fuel poverty for private rented tenants or owner occupiers.

To find out more about the energy assistance package, visit the Energy Saving Trust website

Other useful links

Advice Works is a free, confidential and independent service offering you advice and support with money and debt issues and can give you information on.
  • welfare reform
  • money and debt advice
  • benefit changes

If you would like make an appointment to one of our Advice Works advisors about welfare rights or issues with benefits or debts, call 0300 300 1238 from Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm

You could also look on our websites for more information on benefits and money Advice

Benefits and Money Advice
All customers aged 16 and over, who wish to apply for rented accommodation, are invited to discuss their housing options with a housing expert.

The discussion will include options that best suit each customer's housing need, such as council housing, other social housing providers, private landlords and owner occupation. 

Prospective tenants are also given financial information, including information on Benefit Changes and advice on other types of support available.

Should a customer's best option include applying for council housing, this will be done during the discussion which allows us to improve the way we match an applicant to a property, by looking at the areas you wish to apply for and the availability of properties within these areas that meet your needs. We will also discuss any support needs you may have as well as any other requirements.

Applicants for council housing will be assessed on the basis of housing need and placed into one of five groups, in accordance with our Housing Allocation Policy.

To make an appointment for a Housing Options interview, please call either:
What are housing associations?
Housing associations build new homes and improve existing, often older homes to rent to people who need housing.

There are 14 housing associations in Renfrewshire and a large proportion of their housing is suitable for applicants with general needs, although some tend to specialise in Sheltered or Adapted Housing for older people or people with disabilities. 

You can apply to a housing association directly or if you are registered for housing with the Council you may be able to ask us to nominate you for a property with a housing association. Tenants from housing associations can also apply to the mutual exchange scheme to swap their home.

There are a range of specialist homes available for older people aged 60 or over, these include: sheltered housing, amenity housing, very sheltered and private retirement homes. Generally, these homes are designed to provide specific services and facilities to suit the needs of older people. You should always check with the landlord or owner about the services and facilities available.

Renfrewshire sheltered and very sheltered housing

Sheltered and very sheltered housing providers



Information on housing services in Renfrewshire

Neighbourhood Services/Area Housing Offices
There are a variety of different properties available for rent in Renfrewshire, ranging from flats to detached houses. Properties that are occupied by three or more unrelated tenants are known as Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs), and need a special license.

You should only rent from landlords registered with the council. To check whether a property or landlord is registered, contact our licensing section by telephone 0300 300 0300 or e-mail
If you have any doubts as to whether a landlord is registered, we recommend that you do not rent their property.

Landlords who are not only registered with the council but have also been accredited by the Scottish Government are listed on the Landlord Accreditation Scotland website. These landlords have adopted high standards of care and management.

We have produced a useful Guide to Private Renting for people who are considering renting from a private landlord.

Guide to Private Renting

Private Tenants

Shelter Scotland

Landlord Registration - Scotland


Information on Landlord Accreditation
Funding Work to Your Home

Grants will no longer be generally available, apart from most adaptations for disabled people and in particular situations where owners are being asked to participate in large common works programmes.
Access to borrowing will, in the long term, be the primary means of funding works to private houses.

At present, national arrangements for new lending vehicles to arrange loans for house repair and improvement are not yet in place. The council is not in a position to initiate its own lending scheme but we will provide information to owners on options available elsewhere and recommend them to seek independent financial advice before obtaining loans.
For some owners, saving with local Credit Unions and then obtaining a loan from them may be a viable option.

The council have published our scheme of assistance for private homeowners, which sets out our approach to improving the quality of private housing in Renfrewshire:

Scheme of Assistance

Some useful links for home owners:-

Buying and Selling

Owners Responsibilities for Common Repairs

Owners and Tenants with Disabilities

Factoring Services Provided by Renfrewshire Council

Homes Again Renfrewshire
If you live in Renfrewshire and are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 2 months we have a statutory duty to help you. Depending on your circumstances, the council will, as appropriate:-
  • help prevent you from becoming homeless
  • arrange suitable temporary accommodation
  • help you to access accommodation to meet your needs
  • consider your support needs

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness you should contact the Housing Advice and Homeless Service to arrange a homelessness interview.

Contact us

Our office is open 8.45am to 4.45pm Monday to Thursday and 8.45am to 3.55pm on Friday's.
You can get in touch with us using the details below and home visits can be arranged on request.
  • email:
  • phone: 0300 300 0222
  • fax : 0141 618 5794
  • visit or write to us at:
    Housing Advice and Homeless Services
    Abercorn Street Service
    15 Abercorn Street
    PA3 4AA

    • Housing Advice and Homeless Services also operates an emergency service for anyone made homeless outwith office hours. The telephone number for the out of hours service is 0800 121 4466. This is a freephone number from BT landlines although other phone providers may charge for these calls.

      Homeless or threatened with homelessness
      Support for homeless people
Renfrewshire Citizens Advice Bureaux
The CAB offers free, confidential advice face-to-face or by phone, and the Renfrewshire CAB can be contacted as follows: 

7 Glasgow Road
Paisley PA1 3QS
Get directions
0141 375 7328
0141 375 7328
0141 849 7116

Johnstone Health Centre
60 Quarry Street
Johnstone, Renfrewshire PA5 8EY
Get directions
0141 889 2121

Renfrew Community Library
Paisley Road
Renfrew PA4 8LJ
Get directions
0141 889 2121

Renfrewshire Law Centre

Renfrewshire Law Centre (RLC) uses our legal system to improve the life chances of individuals and groups facing poverty or disadvantage across Renfrewshire. They provide legal advice and representation often free of charge. RLC is part of the Scottish Association of Law Centres and an Associate Member of the Law Centres Federation.

Renfrewshire Law Centre,
65-71 George Street,
Paisley PA1 2JY.
United Kingdom

0141 561 7266


Shelter offers face-to-face, phone, email and online advice about any housing problems (not just homelessness).
0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks).

National Debtline

National Debtline is a free, confidential service offering independent advice about dealing with debt.  You can get information online or by calling the free helpline.

0808 808 4000