Housing Options in West Dunbartonshire

A range of information, advice and support is on hand to help you look at your housing options so that you can make the right choice about your housing situation.

Our housing options information includes options about home ownership, renting in the private sector, council or housing association or seeking accommodation if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Information about other services such as health, money advice or employment can also contribute to holding onto or finding a sustainable home.
There may be circumstances when support services might help you stay in your current home rather than seek re-housing. Even if staying in your current home isn’t a long-term option accessing support might be useful to you whilst you plan and look for alternative accommodation.
Working out which benefits you are entitled to and understanding how the welfare changes affect you can be confusing. Help and advice about benefits, accessing funding or money in kind, managing arrears and your finances is available.
Working 4 U is a service which supports people who are unemployed return to work, providing assistance with benefits and debt, learning, digital literacy and preparation for work.
For many people renting in the private sector may not be an option which they have previously considered however it can be a desirable and appropriate option for long term housing. You can find advice and information about the rights and responsibilities of private sector tenants, information about our rent deposit scheme and where to find private sector properties in West Dunbartonshire.
How to apply for Council housing, apply for properties available for let now or how to apply for a mutual exchange or sub-let your home
With around 14 housing associations in West Dunbartonshire a large proportion of their housing is suitable for applicants with general needs, although some  tend to specialise in Sheltered or Adapted Housing for older people or people with disabilities. You can apply to a housing association directly or if you are registered for housing with the Council you may be able to ask us to nominate you for a property with a housing association. Tenants from housing associations can also apply to the mutual exchange scheme to swap their home.
If you are homeless, or about to be, our homeless service provides free advice and information.  It doesn't matter if you are one of our tenants, a tenant of a housing association, a tenant of a private let or a home owner as everyone is entitled to it.
If your relationship with your partner or joint tenant breaks down, you may need information about your rights and about what help and support is on offer.

The CAB offers free, confidential advice face-to-face or by phone, and the West Dunbartonshire CAB can be contacted as follows:

179 High Street, Dumbarton, G82 1NW
01389 744690

34 Alexander Street, Clydebank, G81 1RZ
0141 435 7590

77 Bank Street, Alexandria, G83 0LW
01389 752727


The IRC offers free, confidential advice face-to-face or by phone and can be contacted as follows:

627 Dumbarton Road, Clydebank, G81 4ET
0141 951 4040

Shelter offers face-to-face, phone, email and online advice about any housing problems (not just homelessness).
0808 800 4444 (calls are free from UK landlines and main mobile networks).

National Debtline is a free, confidential service offering independent advice about dealing with debt. You can get information online or by calling the free helpline.
0808 808 4000